Did You Know
Did You Know Contest
Thank you to all that participated in this contest and
found the mistakes on the TrustWellness Wellness
Corner Boards and Wellness Splashes. The following
spelling errors are what we were looking for:
Winners of a $25 Grocery Gift Card
Kristina Abrenica Lift For Life Academy
Juanita Hartman Ritenour School District
Christy Hall Silex School District
Christy Hall Silex School District
Nicole Mesplay Bayless School District
Click Here To See The Wellness Splash
Did You Know....?
You can save money on your healthcare costs by using Anthem’s Cost Comparison Tool? It calculates an out-of-pocket cost estimate based on your benefit data. Results display facilities with lowest cost option first, out-of-pocket cost calculations, and the ability to perform a side-by-side comparison. (resource: www.Anthem.com)
- You use 200 muscles to take a single step forward and 300 to balance while standing still.
- Every square inch of human skin consists of twenty-five feet of blood vessels.
- Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue. Read how much you should drink every day here.
- A cough releases an explosive charge of air that moves at speeds up to 60mph. A sneeze can exceed speeds of 100mph.
- The best way to reduce the chances that you will get seasonal flu and spread it to others is to get an annual seasonal flu vaccine. When more people get vaccinated against the flu, less flu can spread through that community. (resource: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm)
- As an Anthem member you have access to a 24/7 NurseLine that provides anytime, toll-free access to nurses for answers to general health questions and guidance with health concerns. Callers can also access confidential, recorded messages about hundreds of health topics. Call the 800 number on the back of your Anthem ID card.
- Cigarette smoke contains 4,800 chemicals, 69 of which cause cancer. Are you ready to quit tobacco? Click here for free online programs
- Smoking while pregnant increases the chances of spontaneous abortions (miscarriages) stillbirths and premature labor. (resource: www.lung.org)
- The brain only takes up about 2 percent of our total body weight, but uses 20% of our body's energy. Add these 'superfoods' to your daily diet, and you will increase your odds of maintaining a healthy brain for the rest of your life. Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system.
- The benefits of exercise are more than just for weight management. Exercise also combats stress, promotes better sleep and activates the immune system. You can jumpstart your activity routine by participating in the TrustWellness bi-annual Walking & Activity District Challenge >>> learn more.
- Research has shown that when people exercise by walking, they walk 30% longer if they walk to music.
- Americans eat 18% more vegetables today than they did in 1970. But only a reported 11% of us eat the USDA recommended daily allowance. (resource: www.myplate.gov)
- The American Diabetes Association predicts that as many as 1 in 3 American adults will have diabetes by the year 2050 if present health trends continue. The good news: people with Pre-Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes have greater ability to manage their symptoms with healthy eating, exercise and regular blood glucose testing. TrustWellness provides onsite health screenings throughout the school year. Ask your district wellness representative for details or email: [email protected] (resource: http://www.livescience.com/10195-1-3-americans-diabetes-2050-cdc.html)
- Research suggests that people with mild eczema who drink oolong tea three times a day may show improvement in itching and other symptoms. Compounds in the tea called polyphenols appear to be responsible. From green tea to hibiscus, from white tea to chamomile, teas are chock full of flavonoids and other healthy goodies>>>learn more
- Fidgeting can burn about 350 calories a day. Here are 10 ways to burn more calories by just sitting.
- Tame tension headaches by rubbing peppermint oil, Tiger Balm, or white flower oil into your temples. All three remedies contain menthol, which has analgesic properties.